Sunday, August 30, 2009

Break ke baad

By Chhaya Toshniwal / DNAindia.com , Aug 18 ,2009
Mumbai: Not too long ago, 82-year-old music maestro Bhupen Hazarika wasn't keeping too well. Now he's recuperating from his illness.

Live-in partner and film-maker Kalpana Lajmi says, "He's undergoing physiotherapy exercises and after a hiatus of three years, he wants to get back to his creative interest. He wants to lend his voice for my projects and he is ready to do that now. Bhupenji is going to give music for two of my projects...one in Hindi and the other is in Bengali."

Talking about Bengali cinema, Kalpana says, "My uncle Guru Dutt was in West Bengal. I've stayed there for 17 years of my life. My mother's family also belongs to Kolkata. Everyone is prodding me to make a Bengali movie. The script for the Bengali movie is yet to be finalised but the producers are very nice."

The talk deviates from this to the chances of a film being made on Bhupen Hazarika. Kalpana says, "I'm very keen that film-maker Gautam Ghose makes a biopic on Bhupenji. Somewhat like the one Shyam Benegal made on Satyajit Ray. But we have to have our funds in place before that.

Gautam is also very keen on this because he knows Bhupenda, his culture, his family, Bhupendra sangeet etc. Gautam himself is highly musical." But being a film-maker herself, why isn't Kalpana making this biopic? She reasons, "I am too close to him to have an objective take on his life."