Monday, September 21, 2009

The Balladeer

‘I CANNOT STAY WITHOUT THE RIVER. THE WATER, ITS EXPANSE AND ITS ABILITY TO HELP MILLIONS, CHARGES ME’

EVERY TIME he leaves for Mumbai, his friends in Guwahati ask Bhupen Hazarika won’t he miss the Brahmaputra? And he answers: “The sea will charge me up”. When he had a bypass surgery in Mumbai, Hazarika requested his friends to book a room from where he can see the Arabian Sea. “I cannot stay without the river. The water, its vast expanse and its ability to help millions in their daily livelihood have always energised me. It has always kept me young at heart.”


“Even outside Assam, I am in a beautiful world and touching the hearts of people whose words I will use as lyrics,” says one of India’s oldest performing singers who has composed soulful music for films like Saaz, Rudaali and Gaja Gamini.

For many years, the legendary Hazarika travelled in country-made boats on the Brahmaputra and composed music and wrote lyrics even as he chatted with boatmen and those living along the banks of the river. “I grew up with their dreams,” says the Dadasaheb Phalke Award winner who recently celebrated his 84th birthday with a traditional Assamese lunch with cancer patients at the Assam Bhawan in Mumbai.


Hazarika wrote his first song when he was ten. He will not retire. He says he can only die. “Manna (Dey) is still singing.” As long as people listen to him, India’s Paul Robeson will continue to sing: Manush manusher jonney (People are for people).
SHANTANU GUHA RAY

Source : http://www.tehelka.com/story_main42.asp?filename=Ne190909the_balladeer.asp

2 comments:

Umananda said...

Brilliant endeavour. Hats off to you. Keep it rooling. Let me know if I could be of any help?

regards,
umananda

prasujya said...

Thank you Umananda for your comement & visiting this blog .